Wednesday, March 30, 2011

RA 9442

I found this article on PWD rights and privileges recently while having breakfast (I still find myself weirded out with myself since I started browsing through newspapers instead of magazines while having breakfast) in Inquirer Newspaper with the article title: Persons with disability argue for 20-% discount. This particular topic was still hot for me because we practically just finished discussing the Magna Carta for Disabled Person RA 7277 as well as, RA 9442: an act amending RA7277 in one of my SPED coursed in UST.


Basically, the story behind the article revolved the inconsistencies of particular drug stores in the implementation of 20% discount despite being the Magna Carta of 1992 for Persons with Disabilities and RA 9442 mandate it. 


Chapter 8, Section 32 [c] of RA 7277 as amended by RA 9442 in relation to Section V (5) as implemented by Section VI (4) of AO 2009-0011 provides that persons with disability shall be entitled to at least twenty percent [20%] discount for the purchase of medicines in all drugstores for the exclusive use or enjoyment of persons with disability.



The abovementioned privileges are available only to persons with disability who are Filipino citizens upon submission of any of the following as proof of his/her entitlement thereto:
(I) An identification card issued by the city or municipal mayor or the barangay captain of the place where the persons with disability resides;


Since the PWD concerned presented her PWD card, I believe that she should have the right the claim her privileges. Perhaps I am still illiterate of the guidelines or MOA between large companies but I think lives would not be lost with that meager 20% discount for PWDs provided by the Drugstores. I don't think they realize the large sum of money needed by these PWDs for their rehabilitation and intervention. We, as abled-persons, are supposedly partly responsible in empowering PWDs by supporting their cause and needs. 
Encountering such imbecile REGULAR people somewhat proves that in a world full of abled-persons, the regular ones act like they're the disabled ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment